Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Best Taco Soup


It is fall! I can finally start thinking about cooking cold weather foods. Jeremy will only eat soup if it is below freezing outside and even then only about twice a year. I like a good bowl of soup now and then though. So today I cooked some taco soup for lunch while Jeremy was working the sale at Keeneland. I don't usually cook lunch, but I was craving this stuff so I did. I love it! I got the recipe from a lady named Pat Bradbury when I taught school in Texas. She was the cafeteria manager. We used to have a really good salad bar there and sometimes the ladies would fix soup for the bar as well. It is delicious with a nice kick. It is also very quick. The recipe says let it simmer for an hour- I can never wait that long. I think it can be eaten as soon as all the ingredients have time to warm through. Yum!

Taco Soup
1 lb. of browned ground beef, drained
1 medium onion, chopped and sauteed
1 can of Rotel- do not drain
1 can of *ranch style beans*
*In some areas, like ours, you have to shop around to find these
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of yellow hominy
1 pkg. of taco seasoning
1 pkg. of dry, ranch-style dressing mix
2 c. of water

Do not drain the canned ingredients. (I do drain and rinse the kidney beans, I just don't like that slimy liquid they are in.)
Mix everything together and simmer for one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment