Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How I got to this point




This is just an experiment.

I am sure I won't be able to keep up with chronicling all the things my little ones do on a daily basis. But I have decided to try. (Yes, I realize that I shouldn't begin a sentence with but. (or end one with but either)

There are some really great blogs out there. This is a new discovery of mine. In the past 10 days or so I have discovered the previously unknown world of blogging. Why does a mother of a 2 year old boy and a girl who is 5 going on 15 have time to read blogs you ask. Two words...winter weather.

I grew up in western Tennessee. (GO VOLS!!!) I am a "REAL" southerner. I remember one "major" snow in my entire childhood, as well as one big ice storm. When my husband entered vet school and moved us to the other end of the state, we got a few decent snows in the 3 1/2 years we were there. We lived in Texas for a few years and experienced a very cold wind many days, but usually only a light dusting of snow once or twice a year.

A few years ago, we moved up north. Central Kentucky that is. My husband and I have lamented before that you know we are living too far north when you can be in Cincinnati, Ohio in an hour and a half. You can be in our hometown in Tennessee or in Chicago in the same amount of time. In my world that just sounds crazy! Well, as all you geography buffs are well aware, Kentucky borders Tennessee on the north. Up until this point we have had relatively similar weather conditions. Not so this year! I am now enjoying week 2 of cabin fever. Last week it was 4-5 inches of freezing rain, sleet, snow, and a little more sleet. This week it appears that snow and lots of it are on the agenda. This morning when I left to take the kids to school, nothing. By 11 am the roads were covered...again. So in an effort for the three of us to make it home alive, I picked them up early from preschool. I had time to run into Gordmans, get my hair cut at Super Cuts, and quickly walk through a discount furniture store before returning to pick them up. I had appointments made and lots of errands to run. Instead, I enjoyed a scant 2 hours of "mommy time".

Tonight I look out on possibly 3-4 inches of snow. Just LOVELY! Now don't get me wrong, I like to sled as much as the next person. I own some great winter clothes. I even bought my kids snow suits. I do not, however, have the need for my kids to "get the wear" out of these snow suits. I have a need for a few "kid free" hours in my week. Snow/Ice = NO SCHOOL. So that is how I got to this point.

I go to my computer and read about other peoples lives in an effort to escape my own for a minute or two. ( I have also been doing some internet shopping, but let's not tell my husband.)

Just look at the snow drifts in the driveway, never experienced that before....

No comments:

Post a Comment