Friday, May 22, 2009

Look Mom Two Wheels!

I originally wrote this post back in May. I am not sure why I never published it? Maybe I didn't have my camera handy to download pictures?


I have to brag on my little girl! She turned 5 in February. Well, Wednesday (May 20, 2009) we took the training wheels off the bicycle she has had since she was 2 1/2. I had finally gotten my bike down and was riding it. She decided she wanted to take the training wheels off of her bike to be like Mommy. On Wednesday she got pretty good at riding with me holding onto the bike and for a few seconds at a time on her own. Steering wasn't much of a priority for her yet.

Yesterday, Thursday, I explained that the next step was for her to learn to get herself started.

This initially didn't go over very well with her. After all, what could her mother have to do that is more important than bending in half and running alongside a tiny bicycle for an hour? The housework fairy comes in and does all the cooking, cleaning, errands, bill paying, laundry, etc. ...right?! Well, after catching her in a dramatic moment out in the driveway crying because I "wouldn't help her", I informed her that she could always just put the bike away. Apparently, her calmer side prevailed and she began to practice pushing herself off to get started.

Well, this morning I have been watching my beautiful 5 year old daughter ride her 2 wheeler all by herself! She is so awesome! There is no limit to what she can accomplish when she puts her mind to it. I am so proud of her!

She has a goal in mind, though. Next Wednesday is the last day of preschool and the kids are allowed to take their bikes. She wants to be able to show Mrs. Tiffany her newly found skills. We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment