Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thankfulness Day 6

I am thankful for growing up in a loving home. I had parents who loved my sister and I and each other. I saw firsthand that my father was crazy about my mother. They both worked hard to give us everything we needed and a lot of what we wanted. This isn't just in reference to material things although that is part of it. We had plenty to eat, nice clothes, a warm house - all the basics and then some. We took vacations and went shopping and went out to eat. They raised us in church and to know right from wrong. We knew the limits and what was expected of us. We had stability! This isn't the case for far too many kids today and even back when I was a kid. I am thankful that I didn't know anyone had a different reality. I am thankful that I didn't have to be the parent in our parent/child relationship. I didn't have to worry about the fact that my parents drank too much or took drugs. I didn't have to worry if my mom or dad was coming home at night. We attended church together and ate dinner almost every night together. I was surrounded with love and support. If only every child could be so lucky! I can honestly say that I had an awesome childhood, and although things wouldn't always be so peachy, I am forever thankful to the Lord that I didn't experience those hard times as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment